Friday, December 16, 2011

The Best Brussels Sprouts Recipe... Seriously!

Something weird has come over me lately. If you were to ask me if there's anything I can't or won't eat, I would answer (as my family well knows... ask my brother about finding them in his curtains, months after he tried to serve them to me!) parsnips. I hate parsnips. Sweet in a way that no veggie has a right to be, my mom used to add insult to sweetness by frying them in butter. Gross. But the groceries that I bought last week included both parsnips (I made two different lamb stews, and put them in both) and Brussels sprouts. Another vegetable that I tried to hide on the under-the-table ledge until they could be properly disposed of by burying them in sand when Mom wasn't looking...  Jamie Oliver had a Christmas special on last night, and it was BRILLIANT (as he would say). I can't wait to make the turkey his way as well as the roast potatoes, carrots and - believe it or not - parsnips! And this recipe I made tonight, and it was DELISH (also as Jamie would say)...

Who wants to spend ages prepping sprouts when there’s so much else going on? Not me! This kind of thing is exactly the reason I fell in love with my food processor. You just rattle the sprouts straight through it and into a pan with some gorgeous flavours. Done.


Push all the Brussels through the fine slicing attachment of your food processor, then leave to one side.


Add a splash of olive oil and a knob of butter to a large pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon, sage or rosemary leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper and fry for a few minutes, or until lovely and crispy. Add the shredded sprouts along with a good splash of water, then turn the heat right up, pop the lid on and fry for around 4 minutes. You want them to be soft but still with a bit of bite, but feel free to cook them a bit longer, if you prefer. Stir through the remaining butter, then season to taste with salt, pepper and the Worcestershire sauce. Toss everything together, turn the heat off and serve.

Tip: You can make these the day before to minimize stress on the big day. Leave to cool, cover, then whack in your garage or somewhere cold over night, and just cook them for around 3 minutes to warm through when you need them.

Recipe © Jamie Oliver. Recipe from Jamie's Christmas with bells on.
How
• 1kg Brussels sprouts, washed
• olive oil
• 2 knobs of unsalted butter
• 4 rashers quality dry-cured smoked streaky bacon, finely sliced
• 2 sprigs of fresh sage or rosemary, leaves picked
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4-5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment