Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Busy Few Days

Christmas Eve started off with a wonderful gift! A local shoe store - Shoes For the Soul - had a contest on Facebook where they were giving away a few pairs of Bogs boots. The last draw was Christmas Eve and I WON!!!! I already own a pair, but because of my weight gain this past year, they're a little snug and wearing them all day causes my feet to go numb... I LOVE Bogs boots and think everyone should own a pair! Waterproof, stylish (for rubber boots) and good to 30 below. What's not to love? These are mine, except the top is black, not brown...




So, after the glow wore off about winning a contest, I began cooking. I'd invited 5 friends for dinner, and the menu included an appetizer of spiced nuts, salmon on daikon, and crab dip. Dinner was baked ham, fluffy potatoes Romanov, Jamie Oliver's Brussels sprouts recipe, beet salad and two pies (chocolate cream and pumpkin) for dessert. I was EXHAUSTED by the time I'd finished cooking and cleaning and decorating...


These were Terry's Chocolate oranges that I wrapped in brown paper with ribbon and lace (inspired by Pinterest... I LOVE that website!!!!) and put at each place setting.


 Norm getting fancy with the photography...


 Working my fingers to the bone...


 Salmon on daikon... very tasty and healthy too (recipe below)



So dinner on Christmas Eve was a success and I ate WAY too much... then there was Christmas Day...


 First it was breakfast at Mom and Dad's... our annual tradition of pork hocks on toast. Mom boils the hocks (yes, pig ankles) with lots of garlic and salt and then cleans the bone, skin and fat away and refrigerates them in the broth, which gels (anyone squeamish yet?). Then we eat the cold chunks of meat, with lots of the jelly on slices of Mom's EXCELLENT homemade bread, toasted. And coffee and Baileys is part of the tradition too, which I think is a GREAT way to start any day!


Then it was home to prepare for the family fondue dinner... 
I was disorganized and tired, but it was a success!



The fondue is Norm's and my tradition (it's pretty slow to catch on with my family - this is the first time they've actually shown up for it, preferring turkey in all years past!). I did beef tenderloin with bagna cauda (an Italian dip from oil, butter, anchovies and garlic... DELICIOUS!!), prawns, onions and mushrooms with batter, cheese with bread and veggies and leftover pie for dessert. Nice day. Now my house smells of peanut oil.




Salmon CanapésSELF | December 2010
by Kerri Conan
Pretty-in-pink salmon is loaded with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Time: 20 minutes
ingredients
4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce (or more to taste)
12 ounces daikon, cut crosswise into 16 slices (1/4 inch thick each)
8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon (or lox), cut into 16 pieces
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
preparation
Combine cheese, juice and Sriracha in a bowl. Spread a layer of cheese mixture on each daikon slice; top with salmon and garnish with chives.
nutritional informationPer serving (per 2 canapés) 93 calories, 6 g fat, 3 g saturated, 2 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein
Nutritional analysis provided by Self

No comments:

Post a Comment