Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Donna and Dawneen


Donna's on the left, Dawneen on the right...




I'm worried about both hens we got from our neighbour, Don. Donna had an open wound that the others were all pecking at so my neighbour Jane and I had to do some first aid on her to cover the spot. It seems to be holding so she's hanging in there. This morning I noticed that Dawneen was really limping badly, and tonight Norm said he had to pick her up and put her on the roost, and that she tried to turn around and fell off. He picked her up and put her the other way and I can see by my "chicken cam" that she's still on the roost, but Norm says she's doomed. Sigh. It's sad, in the way that it's sad when a goldfish dies. You feel really bad, then flush it and go buy another one. I don't flush my chickens, but we do take them up in the forest for the wild animals... 


Considering I'm the biggest softie in the world when it comes to living things, I know my attitude is a tad cavalier, but the reality is that stuff happens, and then we cope. The only time I cried was when it was my fault two of our pullets were slaughtered by a raccoon. I left their little door open, thinking they'd be safe in their covered run. That raccoon was wily and he found a slit in the ceiling wire, climbed a post and got in. You could see his little claw marks up and back down the post. When Bea died I was fine till I watched Nini and Momo standing there staring at her, waiting for her to join them. That was sad... 


Sometimes I wish I wasn't responsible for any lives, but then I remember all the joy I've gotten from the chickens, and know that they've led happy, healthy lives with me (except for whatever's wrong with Donna and Dawneen... and the raccoon incident... and whatever happened to Bea... and the coyotes who got all the free ranging ones...). Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment