Friday, November 25, 2011

Spinach Gomae Recipe

I've adapted a recipe for spinach gomae that I found online. If you've never had it, spinach gomae is a Japanese dish with cold spinach in a heap in a bowl and a sesame dressing over it. It's fabulous. Most gomae recipes call for sake and mirin. Having neither, I fiddled around till I ended up with this:

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Drop your clean, fresh spinach into the pot and boil for one minute. Dump into a strainer and run cold water till the spinach has no more heat.

Dressing Recipe:
2 tbsp. soy sauce
3 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed butter - also good in hummus
2 tbsp warm water
1/2 tsp sugar

Whisk till smooth, drizzle generously over spinach - piled in a small bowl, and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over top.

The way I've always cooked spinach is mostly greens, a tiny bit of water, and steam it till it's limp and somewhat slimy. I love this method of cooking it (credit for the basis of my recipe and the spinach cooking method goes to http://www.food.com/recipe/gomae-japanese-style-spinach-salad-396253/review#rz-w).

No comments:

Post a Comment