Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Cousin LOVED my SOUP

My cousin Kevin and Jen, his fiancee, are visiting for the weekend. Today I made cream of broccoli soup for lunch, not knowing that Kev isn't a vegetable fan. After he went back for seconds, and then thirds, I wrote out the recipe to pass on to Jen if she wants to try and up his dark green leafy vegetable intake!


Chop up an onion, about the same amount of celery and 3 stocks of broccoli (cut off the tough outer part of the stems and chop up the tender insides for the soup too)… fry in a bit of vegetable oil till onions are soft and broccoli is bright green. Add a chopped up clove of garlic or two and sauté for another minute or so.

Add enough water to cover the broccoli and a couple of chicken bouillon cubes. Cook till broccoli is tender. Cool and puree in the blender. Add a couple tablespoons of oil to the empty pot and - when it’s hot - stir in about 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir till it’s well blended and then put the soup back in the pot and add about ¾ cup of grated cheddar cheese and some salt and pepper. I also threw in some cooked rice that I had left over, but it’s not necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment