Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Of Mice and My Leg

This morning I went down to the chicken coop, like I do every day. The first thing that was out of the ordinary was the two dead mice in their yard. Probably Sammy the cat was toying with them till they died and just left them. Then I went into the coop and a whole passel of mice were scurrying around in terror. I never see mice in the coop when it's light, as the chickens will kill and eat them (ewwww). But there they were. Then one went up my pant leg. I've been practicing calm restraint all summer with the bees (don't freak out if one lands on you, or flies near you, or stings you, Norm says... just be calm). So I managed to get the mouse out of my pants without too much panic (although, when I got back in the house I did drop my pants and shake them out, just to be sure!) and then I found another dead mouse, in the chickens' water bucket. Weird. Poor mice. I'm feeding the chickens much less now, and daily instead of once a week, so that the mice won't have a lovely buffet every night. And Norm really needs to fix the hole in the door where they're coming in. In the meantime, this fashion statement means no more mice up my pants.



No comments:

Post a Comment