Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Lifestyle Change... again.

I need to get it into my head that I can't "diet" and then "go off my diet" over and over again. My poor body has been flung back and forth from fat to average 5 times in the past 8 years. I was 220 in 2003, then I lost 60 lbs, then I gained forty, then I lost forty, and now I've gained 40... obviously I like being around 200 lbs... sigh.

SO! This time it has to be different. Not a project that I take on till I get to a certain weight and then go back to my old habits. This time it has to be for life. I do know that I can change my habits and eventually I will get to a healthy weight and activity level, but I'm also realistic. I'm thinking that the best way to do this is to stick to a fairly strict diet for a few weeks, and during that time slowly increase my exercising, then I can lose a bunch right off the bat. After the "diet" part of this plan, I'll work into a comfortable pace to continue losing gradually.

Me in 2002 (and Norm of course):


Me after going to Curves and doing their diet for six months in 2003-2004 (this portrait shot was taken by Glamour Eyes Photography and I scanned it... that's why the coloring is off):


By Christmas 2006 I was back to my 200 lb self...


I promised Norm I would get back to 160 lbs if he shaved off his moustache (and he did),  and eventually I lost the weight:


A bare 8 months after that photo was taken, I was already back to an unhealthy weight, and this morning I was 203.4 on my scales. The pic below was taken on our Maritimes holiday in August.  Sigh...



So, to add insult to injury (self-inflicted, I admit) I have started menopause. Harder to lose weight, grumpier... poor Norm! But I will not cave! Starting today I'm eating smaller portions, no junk food, 2 litres of water a day, more activity (20 minutes/day to start) and I'm going to track my progress. Feel free to join me for the ride!

Today - no breakfast, I know. Bad, bad, bad!
Morning snack - two or three bites of an apple before I dropped it accidentally in the chicken coop and it became their treat.
Lunch - homemade (always) cream of celery soup and a smoothie... I'm a little torn about how to make the smoothies from here on in. I got away from using yogurt but I bought some for a lunch I did for guests and it's really, really good. It's also high milkfat and sugar, so that's what makes it so good. If I bought 1% and unsweetened, I am sure I wouldn't even bother.
Supper - tuna steaks marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and lime juice, and then seared. Also spaghetti squash and salad with toasted nuts and seeds.
Evening snack - a small glass of red wine, a rye crisp cracker and a small piece of brie. mmmmmm!!!! The most decadent thing I've eaten all day!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Come in to Nelson on Thursdays. Zumba at the NDCC at 5:10pm...$7.20 if you dont have a pass. Soooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of exercising... part of my problem, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspired me to post about the diversity of leafy greens! thanks

    ReplyDelete